Thursday, March 27, 2008

Write this down!

I don't know about you, but it seems like I've been forgetting a lot of things lately. Well, actually it started about the time I got pregnant with my second baby... but this is not my attempt to blame her! No, instead I'm trying to make up for my common human shortcomings... by making more lists!

I have always been somewhat of a listy person. "To dos" and schedules have been my friends since before college, but frankly as life gets busier my little notebooks get fuller faster. I find the best way to organize myself is to keep one of those little 5x7ish spiral-bounds handy at all times. I take notes as I listen to podcasts, I make lists of what calls I need to make, errands to run, people to write Thank Yous to... you name it, I write it!

Now I do keep a separate list for groceries and my weekly menu. I have mentioned before that I shop once a week. So I made this file that I print on both sides of once piece of paper, then cut into 3rds so I have my shopping list on one side, and my weekly menu on the other. (I actually print a whole bunch at once and cut them all so I don't have to think about it later)

Other things you should make sure to write down are:

  • Tangible, Quantitative Life Goals - Like going to Africa before I'm 40!
  • A Journal or Blog - Organizes your thoughts about life and helps you remember significant events!
  • Everything you Love about your Spouse - I don't think I have to tell you that having something like that written down is priceless!
  • Log your Progress - Losing weight, reading your Bible daily, cutting wasteful spending and anything else that you are trying to improve for the long haul -- having a log will encourage you to keep trying and rewards you when you do well!
What things do you find necessary to keep a written record of?

0 comments: