Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sorry Dieters!

You know I love cooking, deserts especially! Well, I also love trying new things. I forget what I was listening to, but someone was raving about Butter Cake... how it was just the best Southern desert ever... Well, I am from the South, and I'd never even HEARD of Butter Cake, much less made one... so I scoured allrecipes.com and found a recipe! (there were many, but this one has the best reviews) I tried it, and it turned out just beautifully! It doesn't actually have that much butter, though it does have a whole package of cream cheese! It's really more of a bar recipe than cake, and the texture reminds me a lot of lemon bars, but not lemony flavored. It's a nice, not-too-sweet, but deeply craveable desert perfect for fancy or informal sharing. Just don't make the whole pan for yourself... you WILL eat it all up!

P.S. It is super easy, and yet another wonderful use for yellow cake mix!




Butter Cake Recipe
1/2 Cup Butter (I did use margarin)
1 (18.5 oz) Package Yellow Cake Mix
3 Eggs, divided
1 (8 oz) Package Cream Cheese
1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract
4 Cups Powdered Sugar

  1. Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch cake pan.
  2. Melt butter or margarine. Stir melted butter along with 1 egg into cake mix. Press/spread into bottom of prepared pan.
  3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, almond extract, powdered sugar and remaining 2 eggs. Beat for 3 minutes with an electric mixer on medium high. Spread mixture over top of cake in pan.
  4. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes and until browned on top. Allow cake to cool before cutting.

Yum! Enjoy!

0 comments: