Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fruit Salad Sandwich

No, this isn't your toddler's peanut butter sandwich! It is, however a great way to get a little protein, healthy fats, fruit and fiber into your day, while you're on the run, of course! I got the inspiration for these at my local natural food store, which has a little smoothie/sandwich counter. Of course, they charge like $6 for one of these babies! Feel free to take creative license, and comment on whatever additional toppings you find to be delicious!


Fruit Salad Sandwich

  • 2 large slices whole grain/high fiber bread
  • 2+ Tbs nut butter (organic peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter etc.)
  • 1 Banana, sliced
  • 1/2 C sliced strawberries, blueberries, peaches, kiwi, apples, mango, or whatever else!
  • 1 Tbs Honey

Spread the nut butter on both pieces of bread. On one side, arrange the sliced banana, then the other fruit, using the honey to help it stick together. Lay the other slice of nut-buttered bread on top and enjoy!

P.S. I just have to brag that I got those blueberries on sale at Wal-Mart for $1.50 a PINT! The strawberries were $2.50, which isn't great, but with my Strawberry Monsters to feed, it wasn't like I could pass them by. The delicious berries just make me wish summer was here and we could go pick them for ourselves at the farms close to us! My favorite berry farm (organic), the Greer Farm, just started selling their free-range brown eggs again, now that there's more sunshine during the day. (important for laying production) I can't wait to try some, as well as the organic veggies they are adding this year!

0 comments: