Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chores a 3-year old can do

I have a wonderfully active 3 year old son. Note the "active" part! I feel like all that energy needs to get put to good use, so I've come up with a list of easy chores he can help me with!

  • Put his shoes in the "shoe spot" This means less mess in the living room, and he's learning everything has place
  • Put his plate and cup in the sink after meals. Sometimes I have him do his baby sister and Daddy's too, bwaaa haa haa! (okay, I hate clearing the table) I'm hopeing to get him to put the salad dressing back in the fridge door in the near future.
  • Empty the drying into the basket. This works well when I'm putting another load in; he wants to participate and this is something that actually helps me get done a little faster.
  • Pick up specific toy items, like the blocks, trains, or legos. We're still not at the point of being able to clean the entire room by himself, but if he has one specific task to focus on he does pretty well (especially if a little treat is offered to help him stay motivated)
  • Sort the silverware. I take the sharp knives out first, but then open the drawer and let him stand on a stool and sort the spoons, forks and knives. I always fondly remember doing this for my mom when I was little, and it's good sorting skills for him to work on.

So what simple chores do you have your busy little person work on? Please share your tips and ideas in the comments!

Want to make a cute customized chore chart for your favorite helper? Check out these from Alenka's Printables. Just click one of the four designs and you can fill in your child's name and the chores and print it right off!

3 comments:

SherrySam said...

I've found that the virtual chore chart works for me. I use a site called Handipoints chore charts to make printables and it's really been fun so far!

nike outlet stores said...

I like this website.This website helped me with prayer learning.and welcome to visit our website nike outlet stores.thank you!

Kristy Lehman said...

Thanks this is a great idea that we will start with our 3 year old!